By Kennedy Eberechi.
According to Wikipedia, a local government is a form of public administration, which in a majority of contexts, exists as the lowest tier of administration within a given state. Local governments are created with the ultimate goal of bringing government closer to the people at the grassroots.
Nigeria has 774 local government areas (L.G. As). Each local government area is administered by a Local Government Council consisting of a chairman who is the Chief Executive of the LGA, and other elected members who are referred to as Councilors. The local government reforms aimed both to accelerate development and to enable the local population participate and hold those in power accountable for their governance roles.
No doubt, the Cross-River State Local Governments’ elections and inauguration have come and gone with PDP winning in the 18 councils and 196 electoral wards. Cross River State is of particular interest here because since the administration of the state governor; Senator Ben Ayade, no local government election has been held; only Head of Local Government Areas (HOLGAs) are heading LGAs in the state.
In recognition of the enormous task ahead, coupled with the relevance and impact of the Local Government System in poverty reduction, economic growth and sustainable development, the Senior Special Adviser to the Cross River State Governor on Renewable and Alternative Energy; Chief Mathias Ake has charged the newly elected and sworn-in council chairmen and vice chairmen to settle down and develop community based action plan in liaison with inputs from their elected Councilors.
Chief Mathias Ake expressed this in a statement on his Facebook Page, sighted by The World Satellite, with the title: ‘Cross River State people should be our collective interest in the 18 L.G. As’. According to the statement, Chief Ake, who congratulated the newly elected Council Chairmen and Vice Chairmen on the success of their elections and swearing in by the Governor, encouraged them to observe the following:
1. For a very long time, the masses have been yearning for this grassroot leadership
2. You have been favoured by God and voted by community people.
3. Settle down and develop community-based action plan in liaison with inputs from your elected Councilors.
4. Yes, there could be challenges from Party stakeholders and the opposition cynicism, always trust in God to overcome the differences and write your name in the sand of history.
5. Bear in mind that, AUTONOMY does not imply administrative recklessness rather diligent effective service delivery for the benefit of all.
Conclusively, Chief Ake wished them all a rewarding and successful tenure of office while adding that though the COVID-19 is gradually going distinct, it is a great lesson for all.
- Kennedy Eberechi is a Publicist; he Heads Ken-Gbados Concepts Limited, and writes from Abuja, Nigeria (email: email@example.com)